Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Ta My lovelies....

Saturday, December 18th dawned with sunshine and crisp cold air in Peterchurch, England. Making my way from Jan and Ian's, parting with tearful goodbyes, I went to collect Micaela who had also celebrated her last evening with a group of friends. Her parting from Alex was especially poignant and found us both driving through Peterchurch, past Fairfield High School for the last time, and returning to Gilwern for final packing and cleaning, with tears rolling down our cheeks.

Our departure from England being emotional for many reasons. While anxious to return home for the holidays, the friends we have made here on this exchange will be especially missed; and, while leaving home in August was sad we always knew we would return and see our family and friends again - the guarantee to see all our new friends is not as firmly etched. While intentions to visit again, and invitations are open for all to come to America, the reality is most likely not probable that we will see everyone again...and that is especially sad.



On Friday evening the Fairfield High School teaching staff celebrated Christmas again, with a second party in the school dining hall. I was graciously given a coveted Alpaca scarf as a keepsake of my time in the school and was thanked by Mr. Barker for bringing a piece of American culture to the school. Knowing that I will be missed is treasured.



Earlier in the day, at the full school assembly I had been thanked again and received a Fairfield sweatshirt with my initials as a "thank you" for assisting the PE dept. during my stay, and a school calendar - featuring the many animals, insects and reptiles that grace the school grounds. The faculty also gave me a beautiful pendant of blue aqua glass from the city of Bath. I will truly treasure all these sentimental keepsakes, along with the many gifts I received from my colleagues in the English department and my students. These are items which will remain close to my heart as I reflect on all the happy moments of my time at Fairfield.



Goodbye's are never easy - and while my board was covered in well wishes and thank you's from my students - I was especially touched by the lingering Year 7 boy who was the last to leave the classroom on Friday afternoon and parted with a big hug and a Merry Christmas. As teachers, we never know when we have touched the lives of a child, influenced them for the positive or left a lasting impression - sometimes we don't find out for years, sometimes we never find out - but in the case of Fairfield High School students I think I have been privileged to have been as touched by them as they have been by me and it is a rare gift to know it in the moment.



I stood at the window of the classroom for one last time on Friday afternoon, watching the myriad of busses depart from the gate for the Christmas holiday and Micaela departing from her friends with tearful hugs and goodbyes, and I did indeed use a few tissues in the process.

One last cider at the pub with Jo & Ruth, and then off to get ready for the final evening of festivities with the Christmas party kept me busy and my mind off the final departure. With promises to continue long distance friendships and make use of modern technology like facebook and emails there really are no goodbye's .....just....

Ta my lovelies ...until we meet again. Thank you for your kindnesses and your friendship. I shall miss you all very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment